When living in the Middle East, asthma awareness is crucial especially the surrounded climate has significant environmental triggers such as sandstorms. According to the study, the increased prevalence of asthma is common in the Gulf countries with a high rate of sandstorms.
Here Mohamed Samir, Regional Medical Director at Mundipharma shares health and safety tips to survive this sandstorm season.
1. Stay Indoors: During the sandstorm season stay indoor much as possible and keep doors and windows closed. Also, reduce exposure to common allergens which may provoke asthmatic attacks.
2. Get updates of weather and pollution forecast: The doctors recommending asthmatics to check the weather and air quality reports regularly.
3. Clean air conditioner vents: If the air conditioning vents not cleaned and checked regularly, the dust can be a harmful trigger.
4. Air-purifier: An air-purifier help to remove the allergens and particles, reduce indoor pollution and help you breathe better.
5. Use a face mask during outside: Wearing a medical face mask helps to prevent inhaling the dust particles.
6. Stay hydrated: Keep hydrated or even spray water on face and eyes, also drink water a lot