Veganism is on the rise nowadays. If you said you were a vegan before a decade back, then people would just stare at you clueless. Now that being a vegan is setting the trend, this is being, to an extent, accepted by society.
Even being a vegetarian you will get to hear a lot of things that might sometimes be gauche. For example, the first thing people exclaim when they find out you are a vegetarian is “How do you even live?” Other comments that follow will range from “I will mix chicken in your veg curry and give it to you,” to “Are you those vegan types.”
What is Veganism?
Veganism is a type of vegetarian diet. People who follow veganism are ‘Vegans’. They do not use animal products or by-products. This means being vegetarian plus not using dairy products. Most vegans extend this veganism beyond food like vegans stop using animal products like wool, leather, etc.
Why should you choose Veganism?
Here are a few reasons vegans give for choosing veganism:
- Helps in losing weight: Following a vegan diet helps in losing weight more than any other diet. Veganism is a better diet for losing weight as it will not only keep you well-nourished but also reduces fat content.
- Makes you live longer: Following a plant-based diet reduces the risk of diseases like diabetes and heart diseases. It also helps to fight obesity, cancer, etc.
- Eating vegetables and fruits add to nutrition: Vegetables and fruits help in nutrition level rise. They have vitamins and minerals in them. It is a healthy and easy diet.
- Prevents exploitation of animals: Mass exploitation of animals can be prevented by being vegan. Moreover, dairy products are made mostly from the milk of what the offsprings of the animals consume. Wild animal suffering is also reduced and there is a rise in extinct species.
- Saves the environment: Around 20 to 50 percent of the man-made pollution comes from the meat industry. Meat products have large carbon footprints. The United Nations Environment Program has considered the world’s most urgent problem to be tackling the meat production and consumption.
People are on the rise of being vegans for a variety of reasons. A few famous people who are vegans are Aamir Khan, Virat Kohli, Anoushka Shankar, and many celebrities. Mainly a thought to think about at present, because the world is changing. Being a vegan is now the trending new cool across the world.